I have always had a sensitivity to sound and light. Left to my own devices, I wouldn’t have a radio on, and certain DSTV channels put me on edge, and make me stressed (more than usual).
Of course I put it down to being cranky and just being a bitch, but at some point I stumbled on misphonia.com and realised that the fact that I react to sound is not JUST because I am a bitch.
I am not arguing that I am a bitch, but the way I react to sound is even more bitch than even I find “normal.”
I do not choose to react in an extreme manner, but there are sounds that are like hearing nails on a chalkboard or teeth on wool.
I have an ACTUAL physical reaction to certain sounds. It does not matter if I dislike or love the person, when they make certain sounds it is like a phosphorous bomb going off in my head.
Big explosion, sharp green light, and then a material that eats through flesh when it lands on it. My reaction to sound is EXACTLY like that. The part where my flesh gets eaten until I die is the most accurate.
I have realised I CANNOT sit with my kids at meal times – Connor knocks the fork against his teeth, Georgia eats like a savage ….and the chewing sound sets me off. I know it should be all holding hands and meditating at meals, but I actually need to sit at a different table.
Today around 11am I made myself a bowl of muesli with yoghurt, and a cup of tea, and I went to sit in the tv room. Not to watch tv, but so that I could close the door, and shut out all ambient sound. I put the tv on for a few minutes and then turned it off and just sat there.
Kennith has been away for about two weeks, and before that he was away for about four weeks. I have no issue with dealing with the house and the kids myself, I am actually extremely self-reliant and I can put my head down and do what needs to be done. But I feel like I am actually going stark raving mad.
My top sounds-to-drive-mommy-to-a-Zoloft-script are:
1. Georgia’s high pitched voice that does not stop.
2. Connor has a particular whine when he whines … he goes “Moooooommmmmmmie” and it sets my teeth on edge.
3. I have a bird who has now been flying against my dining room window for 8 weeks – I have blocked out windows with paper and masking tape, I have fitted fine gut netting which is actually really cruel to catch birds in, I have tried cut out of ferocious looking birds on the windows, I have gone out and sweared at the bird like a drunken whore, I am at my wit’s end.
4. Isabelle calls “muuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm” when she needs me to do something with her. I am her glorified hand servant. Having your child call you is really sweet. 10% of the time. Right now I want to get the large kitchen scissors and stab someone. Anyone.
5. My kids drink from sucky bottles —- I really cannot bear it.
I need a holiday from sound. I NEED A HOLIDAY. I NEED TO RUN AWAY JUST FOR A BIT, because seriously I am going absolutely frkn crazy.
I realise I sound like someone who is about to lose their mind, or should be on a stronger brand of antipsychotics, but I can’t quite express who I feel like my head is going to implode. I can “do sound” up to a point. About the point where I cannot do sound. Which is about right now.
The next person who tells me “to just get over it” is going to get a blunt broken wine glass in the temple.
Know a place I can holiday for about two weeks, cheap with really controlled sound?