So bookclub has had a few issues for me for a bit. Small stuff really, but it has been niggling at me. I felt I would feel better addressing the issues and resolving them, because they were niggling me.
Not a good plan when you feel a bit emotional, and have had about 3 glasses too many, and then decide to address something that really should be a one-on-one problem solving exercise, and decide instead to do it in front of the entire group.
I am mortified that I am such a total douche-bag!
There I sat and I vented and emotionally vomited in front of 7 rather startled looking people.
I really would love to say that I carried it off with aplomb and made my point succinctly – but unfortunately the opposite is true.
I totally offended anyone who breathed.
I went off like a deranged lunatic, and I managed to alienate everyone in the room – and at the time I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but felt, at the time, that I knew exactly what I was doing – and quite vindicated in my stand point (at the time).
However retrospect is a wonder in itself – and when I had time to calm “the f&ck down” – as I like to say – I was able to look back and realize the absolute devastation I had caused and more importantly “what the hell was I thinking”.
What a total f*ck up – total.
So Thursday morning had me feeling so embarrassed and shamed – not ashamed, but SHAMED. I was mortified that I had sat and felt that what I was saying was correct and appropriate, and justified.
My brain, and my mouth, and my logic had disengaged totally, and I am so embarrassed.
So there we are – I have managed in one foul swoop to become a total tosser (listen I always was, but I managed to sort of keep it mildly under wraps until now).
Yesterday I felt more terrible that I have in a very long time.
I know the thing we would tell our kids is “go and apologise, and say you are sorry, and there is nothing more you can do …”
Hmm, good advise.
I have apologized for my outburst, but it is a bit like it has been said and it can’t be unsaid, so I sort of slink away very embarrassed.
Today I feel a little bit better – not absolutely better - but at least I do not feel so ill as I did yesterday.
Do you realize that you can actually feel violently physical ill from embarrassment and shame? I managed to feel that way the whole of yesterday – I was shaking and had a few crying jags just for fun!
Then I went to lie on my bed, not to sleep, but to close my eyes in the hope I might be swallowed up by the earth …. unfortunately it did not happen, no matter how hard you wish it – and I opened my eyes and it was still me staring back at me.
I still feel crap, and horrible, and embarrassed and shamed.
I f&cked up on a monumental scale, and that it can’t be undone –but there it is.
On the other side of rather unfortunate week I have also managed to:
- Lose my wedding ring – and I cannot locate it, and I am actually very upset and worried and upset.
- I mentioned before that I am attending a 7 week intensive work shop/group work – and for 2 hours a week I get to cry and unpack some stuff that I have been resisting for a long time with a group of similar minded girls.
- Watching the “La Viva V.ulv.a” DVD had a profound effect on me. It has made me question how I view myself, why I view myself as I do – and as importantly what messages I am passing on to my daughters. I feel that there has been this mental shift ….and it has left me feeling very uncomfortable and at the same time forcing me to relook at myself….which is not keeping me in my happy (and ignorant) space.
- I have realized – rather uncomfortably – that I have got exceedingly judgmental person and am really hating that quality about myself. At the same time am a bit stuck as to how to make me “less judgmental.”
- I was wondering if I could find a support group for Alcoholics Anonymous (who still drink) who specialize in Verbal Diarrhea with a minor in Shame and Embarrassment. I am looking for that sort of support group, so if you can recommend anything, please let me know.
- I feel emotionally exhausted and just drained at the moment – and I do not know what I need to remedy me.
- And I am still a total douche bag!