I am not sure how many pleasures should be guilty pleasures.
My problem with guilt is that when it starts to be the uninvited passenger to your pleasure. It eventually stops being the co-driver and takes the driver’s seat, leaving you to slink away feeling shamed, and embarrassed for every thinking about doing anything delightful.
What do I enjoy ……
1. Lying in a bath on a Saturday afternoon, sipping my chilled wine and reading my book. With no kids kicking the door down, no dog hanging over the side of the bath trying to drink the water, and no cat trying to lie behind my head. Quiet. Peace. Wine. Warmth. A good book that I do not feel guilty that its pages warp.
2. The Kardashians. I actually dislike the Kardashians. I do not understand what their point is on the earth. I cannot stand hearing them speak, and watching the family do what ever it is that the Kardashians do. I really detest them. But this does not stop me flipping through a magazine and being captivated by anything printed, photographed or written about the Kardashians. If it has Kim’s arse in it, then I am even more interested. I can’t explain it. I love to hate them.
3. Buying a pizza that I can throw in the oven, opening a bottle of Viognier, grabbing my warm fuzzy blanket, putting the gas heater on and picking up the remote. That moment when I settle into the couch and realise I am alone, and it is just me, the 30 000 kilojoules of pizza, the clink of ice in my glass, and my press-press-pressing the remote control buttons. Pure happiness. Pure happiness right there.
4. The smell of puppies. I love the smell of puppies. I am not sure what it is. It is a bit of the milky smell, it is that warmth like a jersey left in the sun. I love to sniff puppies. Yes, people I am a puppy sniffer.
5. Fresh bread, straight out of the oven, with a dollop of butter, that melts as you try to pick it up — and drips on your shirt as you try to maneuver the bread into your pie hole. Knowing the entire time that this will set of a spate of IBS that you will be crying about in about an hour …. but there are still 59 minutes to enjoy this moment of true bliss.
I could go on —- I am very embarrassed about my Kardashian obsession — I think I would be more accepting of me if I just picked old chewing gum off from the underside of desks and re-chewed those.